Monday, November 28, 2005

Stuck at the end of the world

What some might call an inconvenience, I call a vacation extension.

Remember that pilot strike that I alluded to yesterday? Well, it just turned serious. What started out as a 50% reduction in flights (not affecting the company branch that runs my route), turned into a complete company shut down overnight. The union said that the strike will run until at least Tuesday, and the airline has responded by placing several newspaper ads calling the group a criminal organization that often resorts to threats and violence to achieve its demands. Only in Argentina. At least I took the "Argenfactor" into consideration when I booked the ticket. I still have two days until my flight back to the US on Wednesday, but it could be close.

About an hour ago, this was shaping up to be a cranky posting, but I just got back from dinner, compliments of Aerolineas Argentinas. They also gave me a room voucher that I could redeem at the hotel of my choosing. Needless to say, I'm sleeping on quite a few stars. And a box spring, something I haven't seen for 6 months. I also haven't seen a door lock or in-room electricity in a while, either. Let me tell you, there is a heaven, and it has a great view of the mountains.

I'm going to take this opportunity to offer some of my observations on travel methods in South America. I had been saving them for their own posting, but this one is as appropriate as any. Since we're already on the subject, I'll start with the air. I'm not going to bring up the strike again--because it's been said--and because it's equally likely in any industry; the economy's pretty fickle. However, there is one holiday promotion offered by the primary air carrier in Latin America (TACA) that I find particularly amusing. It offers, and I quote, "1) Our guarantee that at least two pieces of your checked baggage will arrive on the same flight that you do. [This seems like it should be assumed, but maybe that's just me] And if for any reason it doesn’t, we’ll make up for it by giving you a coupon worth $50 off future transportation! 2) Our guarantee that your excess baggage or boxes checked as baggage will be delivered to you within six days of your arrival at your destination." Six days, woo hoo! This is a promotion, mind you, after Dec. 12, anything goes.

City buses and taxis are equally treacherous to the pedestrian, but at least I feel somewhat safe inside the former. Being in the latter is strikingly similar to the wild ride of Mr. Toad, except he had a seat belt.

Long haul buses, my recent specialty, are nothing to set a watch by. The also make airplanes look quite appealing, even now. For instance, my guidebook had recommended one particular company that I used for my first trip out of Buenos Aires. It departed late, arrived later, had uncomfortable seats (and too many of them), a misanthropic driver, an even meaner passenger attendant, and food that was only rivaled in its lack of taste by its lack of substance. All in all, not my most pleasurable Argentine memory. I thought that, for the first time, my guidebook had missed a recommendation. Then I took another company.

Alright, that's all the ranting I'm going to do tonight, I've got to get up early for an exciting day of begging gate agents to stick me in the cargo hold. But first, I'm going to go run around my room naked, order some room service, take a hot shower, and steal a few towels. Talk to you soon.

M

Next -->