Friday, July 22, 2005

I made it!

Hi everybody,

After a full 24 hours of travel (of which maybe 4 were sleeping) I'm safely sitting in a Buenos Aires internet cafe freezing my balls off. Yep, you read it right, it's cold! Because of the whole southern hemisphere thing, it's wintertime in Latin America. For most of the continent, that means a brisk 97 degrees, but Argentina is far enough south to actually have seasons. It's not awful, probably about 50 degrees, but I sacrificed bringing a jacket to free up some space, so I'm a bit under dressed. When I came off the plane--and for a split second saw my breath hovering in front of me--I seriously considered getting right back on.

The plane ride was nice, I watched Sahara four times. If the star was anyone besides Penelope Cruz, that might have been a problem, but it sure did help pass the time! I sat next to a nice Argentine lady who works for National Geographic, she gave me some pointers as to where I should look for a hotel. I found one, by the way, but not before I hit a couple of speed bumps...

So, I went up to the transportation counter at the airport and asked for a bus ticket, but I used the wrong word (Argentine Spanish has a different vocabulary than Mexican Spanish or Spanish Spanish), and only upon being led away by my private driver to his private car did I realize the err of my ways. I though that it was an expensive bus ticket! At least he took me right up to a hotel, so I didn't have to wander about Buenos Aires like Toury McTouristan with my big rolling duffel, asking door to door if there were any rooms available.

Alright, that's about it for now, since I'm paying by the minute, but
more to come soon.



Next -->