Thursday, November 24, 2005

I hope I don't fall off!

I've arrived at the end of the world! Ushuaia, Argentina is the southernmost city on the planet in the province of Tierra del Fuego. Land of the fire, my ass, I'm freezing! It's absolutely gorgeous, tough.

Sorry, I don't have any coherent story planned, but I'd like to fill you in on my day.

The bus ride involved a ferry trip (the bus just drove onto a boat!) in which we were surrounded by playful dolphins. The scenery was desolate but strangely alluring. It reminded me of Dr. Suess's book "The Lorax", after the factory comes to town.

The bus's pit stop was at a bakery in which there was a sort of mini-zoo exhibiting the local fauna. It was one room with several small animals wandering around. It's about time I saw some beaver!

Ahem, sorry.

The bus eventually emerged from the strange anti-forest to reveal a quaint coastal fishing town with an interesting history. More on that later.

The internet cafe is playing a smooth jazz cover of Marley's "Redemption Song". That settles it, I've heard it all.

Ok, I'm off to bed, there's a lot to do tomorrow!

M

Next -->