Saturday, August 13, 2005

Mr. Stone goes to Gino's

I know that I just posted yesterday, but this one's just too good to put off.

So, my hair was getting a little fro-y, and I thought it was about time for a cut. I asked my host sister where I should go and she recommended a place called Gino Lozani's a few blocks away. I wandered around for a bit and eventually found the place (it's in a really nice building; I felt my wallet shudder). I asked if they had time to cut me, and they did, so I sat down. A couple of minutes later, they took me back to get washed. I'm told that Gino himself is going to cut my hair. What an honor. After the washing, I sat down and waited for him at his cubicle. Eventually, an upstairs door swung open and the whole place went silent (I swear). This old guy came strolling down the stairs into the salon, and half the place ran over there to give him a kiss (it's how they say hi, no big deal), and he comes over to me.

Now for some necessary background: Buenos Aires--especially my part of it--is very fashion conscious. Everyone dresses in the latest eurotrends, has all the right accessories, etc. So the haircut is an almost religious affair.

Back to the cut. So Gino came strutting over with his tool belt of scissors, looked me over thoroughly, and without one word said, started going to town on my hair. There's a cloud of brown fuzz all around and I could barely see Gino's hands. So much for a little off the top. Gino ever so bluntly tells me that he's going to trim my unibrow, and I say ok. This was the first time that he had heard me talk, and he instantly picked up on my accent. He said, "You're not from Argentina?" (in Spanish, of course), and I was so happy that I had fooled him thusfar, that I could barely answer. I say, "No, I live in California". He acknowledged, and not another word from Gino. He finished up, and sent me to get another shampoo. Needless to say, I'm rocking some high, high fashion at the moment.

How much did my adventure in salonland cost me? $10, including tip. I love this place.

M


Next -->