Friday, August 12, 2005

Family ties

Hi all,

Last night was my host brother's graduation from med school. Aside from inspiring me to continue on that track, I had another insight into the lives of the Argentines. In fact, everytime I visit a Latin American country (look at me talk like I'm Carmen Sandiego, I've lived in two)! I see the same idea, family is everything. I talked about my host sister's b-day, and the graduation was the same way. It started out with the father of each student (and sometimes mother, husband or wife) giving the diploma, not some generic administrator. That of course inspired a few more tears. Interesting side bar: one of the graduating students was Brasillian, and her family proved that the counrty's reputation as being rowdy is well deserved. When her name was read, about thirty people jumped up waving Brasillian flags, blowing air horns, and cheering for at least a minute, it was hilarious.

After the ceremony, family and friends piled into our house for a late night of socializing and congratulating. I, of course, had nothing to wake up for, but the rest of these people actually work! Most people had to get up around 7-8, but still stayed until at least 2, nonetheless.

Maybe I notice this country's family mentality because of my own guilt. After all, I'm always so quick to pack up and travel, go away to school, etc. So family, if you're reading this, I love you, but there's no way I'm moving back in!

I should use this opportunity to introduce you to my other family:


Left to right: Belén, a cousin, Lorena, Graciela, Carlos, Rodrigo. Behind Belén is Lorena's boyfriend.

While I have your attention, I might as well concede that my classes could actually be a little tough. Well, at least not the vaction with books that I had previously implied. I just finished my second week of classes, and while the subject matter isn't quite molecular biology, I was surprised to see about half my classmates coming from Spanish speaking countries, and the teachers treat it as such. They speak so fast, but at least it's making my Spanish much better.

Talk to you soon,
Myles

Next -->