Monday, August 29, 2005

Remember handmade?

Hi everybody,

I went to my favorite fair again yesterday (but I approached it from the other side). Not having my life seriously threatened took a little bit of magic out of the arrival, but I still enjoyed it, nonetheless. My big purchase was a handmade drum by a local artisan. He starts from scratch out of a single piece of wood and makes them one at a time. The finished result is as much a piece of art as it is a musical instrument. Of course, it was incredibly affordable, like everything else here. In comparison, my drums back home are machined out of a blend of several woods which creates a perfectly consistant result every time, but sometimes the little imperfections can add a nice feel to the drum, and definately some personality.

I went by the drum maker's studio to pick up my drum and it was just what I'd imagine a drum maker's studio to look like. Wood shavings everywhere, traditional music on the stereo, and a handful of drums in the corner for repair and maintenence. Here's a pic:


The craftsman's name is Ruben, and he was a really nice guy. I have his contact information if anyone's interested.

Now, how am I going to get this home?

M

Next -->