Saturday, June 17, 2006

I'm back!

Hi everybody,

After a 6-month adventure travel hiatus, I'm back on the road, and I couldn't be happier! This time, I'm off to Israel. Yes, that Israel. There are a few philanthropies that offer free (or cheap) trips to Israel for Jewish students, and I've hooked up with one of them. I'm going on one of the longer trips, the only catch is that I have to pay a little bit. However, it's a very little bit. I'm getting airfare, room and side trips paid for; my contribution pretty much equals what I'd be spending on food during the three weeks that I'll be traveling, and I'd be spending that no matter where I am. So, I'm essentially getting a free trip to the Middle East simply for being a member of the tribe. Seems like the circumcision was worth it.

I can already see the questions brewing, let me take a stab at a few of them.

Q: Wait a minute, are you even Jewish?
A: Technically yes, although anyone familiar with my level of Jeweyness knows that I'm quite a few candles short of a menorah. The thing is though, my Mom's a pure bred, so they can overlook the fact that my dad's from a Catholic family. Granted, if they knew that he's Lebanese too, they'd probably ex-jewmunicate me in a heartbeat. But we won't tell them that.

Q: But Myles, I thought you hated group travel?
A: You're right, I think that getting lost is half the fun of traveling (and I don't own any Hawaiian shirts, which appear to be compulsory). However, there's one thing that I hate more than prescribed itineraries, and it's getting blown the f up. I think I'll stick with the pros. But...

Q: Aren't you afraid of getting blown the f up?
A: Of course, but people travel to Israel all the time, and at least a few of them come back in one piece. Hopefully I'll be a lucky one. Besides, I'll be with a group, and terrorists would never strike a pack of wide-eyed American tourists. Especially if they're Jewish.

Oh man, what am I getting myself into?

I guess I'll see soon enough. Once I get there, I'll tell you more about the trip. At this point, I really don't know very much, except that it's free!

Now, what to pack...

Next -->