Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Holy Walls and Shady Markets

Ok, finally some time to write a decent post. I'll start from the beginning.

As I hinted at yesterday, the dorms that we're sleeping in are a bit, well, basic; but it's nothing that I haven't seen a dozen times over in hostels. However, some of the guys on this trip don't stay in hotels with less stars than they have fingers, so it's been kind of a shock for them. My room has 6 beds, a closet, a window (very important in the desert), and something that I suppose once resembled a lock. My bed's tiny, no surprise, but I was especially shocked when I jumped up - exhausted from traveling - and I was swallowed up by the bed frame. I'm on a top bunk, and the bed was missing its support board, so I fell through the beams, mattress and all. I knew that I wasn't going to last long without a board under my bed, so did what any resourceful traveler would do in this situation; I stole one. At the time, there was an empty bed, so I "borrowed" a board from one, and went to sleep. That is, until until one of those 5-star types barged into the room, dumped his bags, and turned on the lights. He turned on the lights! I was too tired to start a fight, plus I didn't want bad blood between me and someone with a key to my room. But I'll admit, I couldn't help but laugh when he got swallowed up by his board-less matress. Touché.

The next day (yesterday), with the dorm shenanagins behind me, we visited the Kotel - or wailing wall. It's all that's left of the original holy temple of ancient Jerusaluem. We're talking big time significance, here. It's like St. Peter's, Mecca, and Sarnath all wrapped up into one. Here are a few pics:


(In the backround are hugely significant mosques and churches. Only in Jerusalem. The mosque was actually built on the actual site of the Jewish temple; talk about adding insult to injury!)

This was one that I took last night (I live way close), it's packed during the day. Religious Jews believe that this is a direct line to God. No secretaries, no answering machines.


Here's an artsy fartsy one that I took while walking around the Jewish quarter.


So, last night we went out to the bars (it was my little sister's first legal drinking experience), and it was quite a site to see American tourists, Hassidic Jews, and armed, off duty soldiers all sharing brews. Only in Israel.


My sister got back to her place just fine, but my friend and I started noticing the signs changing from Hebrew to Arabic as we walked back. Uh oh. We were getting more than a little bit nervous, but it turns out that we were just in the Armenian quarter, only 7.4 on the dangerometer. We made it back just fine, but it was quite an adventure.

I actually went to a bazaar in the Arab quarter today, after hearing from a Rabbi that it's not too bad in during the day. Nonetheless, I didn't want to take out my camera, so you'll just have to use your imagination.

Well, I'm late for dinner, but I'll check back in soon.

Myles

Next -->