Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Safe and sound

Phew, I made it!

Our airport experience fell right in line with everything else about Israel. As we drove up to the airport, our bus was stopped and searched for bombs (at gun point), as all automobiles are stopped and searched for bombs (at gun point). We arrived to find out that there was a fire in the airport, so we couldn't enter. We could however, check out the toughest-looking firetrucks that I've ever seen. They were like battle tanks with hoses! Only in Israel. Once we finally were let in (it was madness, there are no such things as lines in Israel), we were subjected to several minutes of intense questioning to see if we were terrorists. As it turns out, we weren't. We then had to place all of our bags into a heavy-duty x-ray machine, whose technicians actually looked at the screen. Homeland Security, please take note. Another round of questioning, and we were finally allowed up to the ticket counter to check in. And all this before we even went through security! But as much as I joke about the ridiculously long security process, the fact of the matter is that I made it home safely from a country that receives far more that it's share of terror attacks. If you don't believe me, just turn on the news.

Every time that I return from a trip, I notice one more thing that I love about the United States. This time, I've realized how much I value not being searched by a heavily armed guard just to buy some groceries. It's something that I think most of us take for granted.

Well, I'm going to wrap up this installment, but I'm already planning the next adventure. We'll pick this up soon enough! Until then, all the best.

Myles