Sunday, July 09, 2006

Home stretch

Hi there,

If you didn't assume this from all the typos, I put up the last post in a rush. Most internet cafés charge in 15 minute intervals, and I was about to roll over into another one, and the internet's expensive here!

In my haste, I forgot to tell you all that my sister and I spent Friday morning kayaking down the Jordan river. You'd think I'd learn by now (we've been kayaking before), but all I saw for the hour-long trip was the water spraying off her paddle into my face. She thinks she's sooo funny.

Shabbat was more of the same good stuff, but with a little twist this time. The neighborhood we stayed in was a suburb on the outskirts of Jerusalem, and in the distance we heard loud blasts in the Palestine territories. One of the rabbis identified it as tank fire. Of course, we were plenty safe, but it was definitely one of those classic Israel moments. Good times.

I spent today going a bit deeper into the Arab quarter. I never felt at all in danger; there were plenty of tourists looking through the same market as me, but I did see plenty of rugs, drums and antique lamps. It was pretty cool stuff. I knew exploring it was a bit more dangerous than staying cooped up in my dorm, but you just can't find opportunities like this everywhere.

Alright, I'm off to pack up (I leave tomorrow night), but I'll check in again from the US.

M

Next -->