Monday, August 05, 2013

Getting used to this


Our second day in Eugene was as idyllic as the first.  It started off with a sampling from Master Donuts (we might as well continue our donut tour of the Pacific Northwest), and a trip over to Armitage Park.  The town has no shortage of river parks, but this one is a favorite of Alicia and Isaias.  For good reason:


And a nice, lazy morning was followed by a nice, lazy afternoon.  After lunch, we headed back to Isaias' fishing spot along the Willamette.


I wish that picture was posed.  I was as confused as I looked.  Fishing isn't exactly a way of life in the deserts of Southern Arizona.

An hour later, I was still coming up empty, but at least I had the look down.


Isaias claims he caught something, but I'm convinced that he brought a sardine from home.


And just for some context on fishing in rural Oregon, this is what a grocery store magazine rack looks like in Eugene.  Mind you, this isn't the magazine rack of a gun shop or an outdoor outfitter.  It's a grocery store.  If we ever move here, I'm going to need a lot more fishing practice.  And apparently a gun.


But it was the perfect taste of being outdoors in the Pacific Northwest, and a nice teaser for what was coming up for us in Canada.