Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Reservation required

And...we’re back.

It’s time again for some more stories of awkward cultural encounters, scattered rantings, and questionable food decisions.  But for this trip, I got the diarrhea out of the way before I even left home.  My last rotation was pediatrics, and apparently it’s an absolute given that every medical student who wanders through the pediatrics department picks something up from those cute, lovable little cesspools.  For me, it was GI.  Of course.  I managed to stay healthy for five and a half weeks of the six week rotation, but right after the final, I knew something was wrong.  I spent the next 24 hours unsure if I should sit on the toilet or kneel in front of it.  One of those weekends.

But that’s not the story for today.  I’m back on the Hopi reservation, and I couldn’t be happier about spending some more time up here. The high desert is sparsely beautiful, the clinic is a lot of fun to work at, and a little peace and quiet probably isn't the worst thing for me after a year of clinical rotations and brewery management.

I've been looking forward to this trip for months, but I got a somewhat concerning email last week from the person that oversees the student trailer on the reservation.
Myles,
Welcome back to Hopi.  Be forewarned that the washing machine in the student trailer died and does not work.  The dryer is still present.  Please bring water to drink and cook with. At this time there is NO internet at the trailer.
There are Kachina dances on Mother’s day weekend if you want to come early.
See you soon.
But I wasn't going to let that get in the way of a perfectly good trip. It's like camping, and besides, I was looking forward to unplugging for a bit.

That said, I didn't pause for even a second when one of the doctors up here offered me his guest bedroom.  Um...yes, please.  The water I can handle, but no internet? That could have been rough.

The drive up to the reservation was as beautiful as I remembered. High desert is surprisingly green, and the barren southwest landscapes alternate with pine forests for the entire drive.


The towns are also a lot of fun to drive through.  Sleepy, serene, rural Arizona.  I had to keep reminding myself that it wasn't Sunday, since the sidewalks were quiet, and nothing really seemed to be open.


And speaking of nothing being open.  It's getting harder and harder to find a local restaurant along the highway.  But there were a lot of gun shops.  More than I remembered from the last time I made the drive.

There you go, scattered rantings.  It's good to be back.

As you drive up to the Hopi reservation, the tops of the mesas suddenly begin to take shape.  You realize that the jagged outlines aren't boulders or cliff faces.  They're ancient buildings.


And from there, it wasn't long before I pulled up into my home for the next six weeks.  This is the view from the back yard.


It's perfect.