Sunday, May 08, 2011

Mr. Stone goes to Washington

I’m tempted to say that it’s been a while, but that’s how I open up the first post of every trip. Clearly, no matter how long it’s been, I still wish that each trip came sooner!

That said, holy crap it’s been a long time. Or at least it feels like it. This year has been pretty unreal. I’m finally ready to admit that med school is hard--really hard--and maybe I’d be best served by focusing on it exclusively. But that’s not me. (Exhibit A.)

My last exam was on Thursday, and I’m almost ready to start my Year in Beer. I say "almost" because I still have a couple of loose ends to tie up with school, including the first part of the three-step medical licensing exam. But at least I’m done with class.

Which brings us to today. I’m sitting on a Southwest airplane on my way to Washington D.C., and I have the good fortune to be one of Arizona’s representatives to the Family Medicine Congressional Conference. I’ll be meeting with Senators, Representatives, and their staffers to talk about the value of primary care medicine. There are few things that I like talking about more than politics, and to be able to do so on behalf of family medicine is a sweet gig for this med student.

I mentioned how stressful this year has been, and there’s no better anecdote to this fact than my flight reservation for this trip. As I worked my way through Southwest’s website, I entered my personal information and booked a flight on my new favorite airline. Only yesterday did I realize that I had booked a round trip flight from Washington D.C. to Tucson and back. From Washington.

I need this vacation so bad!

-M