Monday, December 29, 2008

Pura Vida!

Alright. I'm sitting in a hotel room in Costa Rica, and I'm here with a friend of a friend's wedding party. We're staying just outside of San Jose, the capital of Costa Rica.


View Larger Map

Things had already been going on for a few days before I arrived, so I was planning on meeting them at their hotel. I had the name of the place, and I knew the general vicinity. But I didn't have directions, and I didn't even know the name of the couple being married. So, as soon as I arrived, I headed to the airport information counter and asked for directions. But unfortunately, he didn't know the hotel, and couldn't find it in his database. Of course.

But just as I had resigned myself to venturing off on my own, he found the hotel and gave me the "address". Here's what he wrote:

"50 mts sur de la Iglesia Catolica de la Immaculada Heredia".

I was clearly going to need a cab.

Addresses in Central America are an insider's game. You have to know where certain landmarks are (like the Catholic Church, in this case). And what's especially fun is when you're given directions that refer to a place that no longer exists ("It's two blocks from where the Pepsi factory used to be"). Great. The whole number-and-street-name theme really hasn't caught on here.

I did eventually make it to the hotel, and I met the motley group of people that were brought together by this couple's wedding. We went out for a quick drink at one of the local bars.



There's nothing new about a local bar--or about me drinking at one--but I do want to point out how clean the city is. This is the capital city of a third world country, and the sidewalks are almost litter-less, I never once felt unsafe, and there aren't many people living on the streets. I was pleasantly surprised. This observation was reaffirmed this morning when we woke up (quite early) to meet our bus to the rafting trip.



It's easy to forget that you're not at home.



Unfortunately, I don't have any rafting trip photos, since my camera is not much of a swimmer. You'll just have to take my word that the place was beautiful.

We moseyed our way through a beautiful tropical jungle, occasionally bobbing through Class 4 rapids (Class 6 is the highest). It was one of those experiences where you can struggle just to take it all in.

Ok. After a full day in the sun, I'm completely exhausted. Plus, I'm excited to go meet Aimee in Nicaragua tomorrow, so I'm going to go to bed now. I'll check back in from Nicaragua.

Salud.