Monday, September 19, 2005

The open road beckons

Hi everybody,

Sorry about the absence, but I had a ten page paper due (in tango, of all classes), and I felt bad doing anything at a computer besides working on it. I know, I was surprised, too.

Well, first things first, I have oficially ended my quest for immigration papers. I woke up way too early today to go down to the new immigration office, which was surprisingly close to the first, not surpisingly far from the second. I walked up to the lineless building and saw one couple being told to return that afternoon. Oh man. Surprisingly, I was let in, although it seemed like we needed the same thing. I'm done thinking logically. I walked almost straight to the counter and proceed with the usual vomiting of relevant papers, hoping the clerk knows more than me; he seemed to. He asked what country I was from, so I made the foolish mistake of getting excited. He then took out a scrap of paper and started scribling something down. My ID? After all this, I wouldn't be surprised. He finished and handed me the paper and told me that the date on it was the day that people from my country could come in for processing. It said December 1st, 2005 11am (my return flight is on November 30). Unbelievable. I couldn't have made up a better ending. So I asked the guy if there was some alternative, since I'm leaving the day prior. He asked me when I was returning and and I told him that this was a flight home, and I don't have another trip planned. He seemed amused and asked me why I was trying to get my papers if I was leaving so soon. I had absolutly nothing to say.

Ok, on to happier news. I spent Saturday in a small colonial port town in Uruguay. The town is appropriatly named Colonia and has some of the oldest remaining euro-buildings. It was cute and quaint, but I was about 50 years too young to really apreciate it. Instead, I rented a moped and cruised along the coast and to the interior fmarland. I've never felt so cool in my life.



When I rented the bikes, there were some for $10 and others for $15. The more expensive ones had electronic ignition, but I couldn't imagine why I would want that! Oops. I think I stopped about twice all day, each time so pissed that I'd have to give up another 20 minutes to get the thing going again. When running, though, they were actually quick little suckers. A quick flick of the wrist, and they were up to 45-50 km/h (about 30 mph). If anyone's near my mom, please pick her up off the floor. Yes it was dangerous, but the town was pretty. The only traffic was other tourists just as excited as me live out those Harley fantasies.

Ok, I'm off to bed, but I've got a few more posts in the pipeline, so check back soon.

M

Next -->