Friday, September 05, 2008

Oh, that Sydney Football Stadium

I've outdone myself.

Tim and I spent today rounding out the Sydney attraction package with two tower tours. They were both nice viewpoints over Sydney, but the cloudy weather didn't lend to any amazing pictures.

The highlight of the day was supposed to be a rugby game. I bought the tickets a few weeks ago, to celebrate Tim's birthday. For whatever reason, I was absolutely positive that the game was at Sydney's Olympic Park. I was wrong. However, we didn't realize that until after we had a handful of beers in the pub across from the main Olympic stadium. By the time that kick-off was scheduled, there were only about 30 people at the pub, and no one at the stadium. Tim kept telling me that something was off, but I just assumed that the crappy weather was the reason for a low turnout. But when we got to the ticket counter, and found all of the windows closed, I came around.

There was an adjacent stadium (there are many in the park) that had its lights on, so we walked in to see if that's where the game was. There actually was a game going on, so we were getting closer, but it ended up being a youth game between a couple of local schools. When I realized that we were 0 for 2 on the stadium picks, I asked a pack of dads where the Sydney Roosters played. The told me that I was about 45 minutes away, and the stadium was surprisingly close to our hostel. I told them that I had tickets to the game (which was already underway), and they said that we'd have a pretty tough time making it. So, I decided to cut my losses, and I asked which high schools were playing where we were. At least we'd be able to catch one game. They that that I was hilarious. Tim didn't.

We decided to take our chances, and hopped back on the train. Not surprisingly, we were the only ones on the train. We should have been suspicious when we noticed that we were also the only ones on the train to the stadium.

Here's a quick run down of our journy. We started at A, went to the Olympic park at B, but should have gone to the Sydney Football Stadium at C.


View Larger Map


Oops.

By the time that our train arrived back in town, the game was nearly over. We decided to have a beer at a pub by the train station. They happened to have the game on.

Sydney won.